Three objectives underpin the strategy on gender equality in Horizon 2020:
- Fostering gender balance in research teams, in order to close the gaps in the participation of women.
- Ensuring gender balance in decision-making, in order to reach the target of 40% of the under-represented sex in panels and groups and of 50% in advisory groups.
- Integrating the gender dimension in research and innovation (R&I) content, helps improve the scientific quality and societal relevance of the produced knowledge, technology and/or innovation.
- Reach a critical mass of universities and research institutions in Europe which implement long-term institutional change through gender equality plans;
- Increase the participation of women in research, improve their careers and achieve gender balance in decision making;
- Increase the scientific quality and societal relevance of produced knowledge, technologies and innovations by integrating an in-depth understanding of both genders’ needs, behaviours and attitudes. It also contributes to the production of goods and services better suited to potential markets.